Certificate of Practice in University Teaching
The Certificate of Practice in University Teaching is designed to assist participants in their evolution as instructors by providing a framework for their professional development. The Certificate of Practice program seeks to achieve three major outcomes for participants:
- synthesis and application of effective methods for teaching and learning
- assessment and implementation of a teaching philosophy
- refinement of pedagogy through feedback and self-evaluation
Participants in this program progress through several phases as outlined below:
- Plan a program to develop your teaching skills.
- Learn about approaches to teaching and factors influencing student outcomes by participation in a class or by developing your own learning program to address your interests.
- Apply your knowledge in a teaching environment with feedback from CTLO and CPET.
- Reflect on and Refine your teaching through evaluation, feedback, and mentoring by an experienced educator.
- Record the development of your teaching pedagogy and practice through a teaching portfolio, incorporating a teaching philosophy and representative documents from teaching.
More details about this program as well as reflection templates for each phase of the program are available in the links below.
To sign up to participate in this program, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that the portfolio must be completed and returned to CPET for review by May 16th in order to receive a transcript notation before commencement.
A complete description of the CPET Certificate of Practice in University Teaching is available here:
A useful checklist showing the major steps in completing the Certificate of Practice is available below.
The following forms must be completed during and after the various phases of the Certificate of Practice:
Feedback Reflection Form - Reflection on feedback collected during your teaching experience (ex. Student survey, classroom observation by CTLO). Due two weeks after you receive feedback results. [docx]
The following guidelines and resources can be used to develop your Teaching Portfolio (Phase 5 of the Certificate of Practice).